Monday, July 2, 2012

Sausage Pilau

This is a one-pot dish that is super easy and can be cooked up in about 25 minutes. 
You can make many variations of it by changing up your seasonings and/or your vegetables.
You could even use other meat!
(Diced chicken would be cheapest.)
I usually buy turkey sausages when they go on sale for $2. If I happen across a better deal, I buy extra and freeze them for later. I have several recipes that I make that uses only one package to feed my entire family. 
That keeps it frugal!

1 pkg smoked sausage, sliced thin
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (mix of green and yellow here)
4 1/2 cups water
2 cups long grain white rice
1/2 t (or more) paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Lightly saute the sausage, onions, and peppers for approx 3 minutes in a large pot.
(If necessary add a couple of tablespoons of oil or water. Bacon grease is great!)
Add water, rice, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for approximately 15 to 20 minutes
until the water is absorbed and rice is fluffy. 


2 comments:

momma-lana said...

Found this on Pinterest and it sounds so good. I have lots of sausage in the freezer just needing to be used up.

Donna said...

Thank you Momma-Lana!
Glad to hear it's on Pinterest too!