Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Homemade Fire Starters

Well, it's almost time to cover the stove pipes and enjoy the warmth of summer, but it's not too early to be planning for next winter's fires!
 
Note to self: Must cover stove pipe before another bird get's down it!

I have already started to collect some items, otherwise known as 'garbage', to use for next year's fires in the wood stove.

I used them a lot in late winter and early spring and found them to work better (for me) and they are made from items that are basically free!
(Those starter logs and sticks are expensive!)
 
The garbage you need?
Toilet paper rolls and lint from the dryer.
 
What you need to buy on the cheap?
Petroleum jelly
(But a little goes a long way!)

It only takes a teaspoon or two of the p.j. and you spread it thinly inside the rolls.

Then lightly stuff with lint, no need to pack.
If you like, you can wrap the lint in one square of tissue paper and leave it sticking out a little to use as a wick, but it's not necessary.
One little boy here likes to go out in his socks- can you tell from the straw?
There you have it- fire starters on the frugal!

Psa 104:4-5  Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire: Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

8 comments:

Robert said...

I wrap them pretty and give them as gifts to people!

Donna said...

Great idea! Love it!

Robert said...

You can add a pinecone it helps as well.

Donna said...

You can use just a pine cone, I've read....I just don't have easy access to them...but sure wish I did!!!

Miss Frugal said...

What a great idea! I'm totally going to try this! Do you mind if I link this idea to my blog at some point?

I think it's such a great and simple idea.

Donna said...

Please do Miss Frugal!
I think you'll find it works wonderfully, even for camp fires :)
Thank you!!!

Miss Frugal said...

Wonderful! Thank you!

Joy said...

We do this too!
Joy