Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Taco Chicken Mac

This is a quick dish, for some of that shredded chicken in the freezer.
 
My kids love taco anything, so this works for a quick fix after a day in the garden!


Taco Chicken Mac
4 cups cooked pasta,cooked with one large diced onion
1 1/2 cups cooked beans (pinto, canned chili beans, whatever is on hand, even black beans)
1 small can green chilis
1lb shredded chicken
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
taco seasoning (use one pack or equivalent of homemade or bulk mix)
shredded cheese (opt)


Bring the 1/2 cup water to a simmer and toss in the chicken and taco seasoning. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes and add the ketchup, chilis, cooked pasta, and beans. Heat to a simmer. (Add more liquid if necessary.)
Serve topped with cheese if desired.

*********
Frugal notes:
Chicken was bought on sale at .99lb as split chicken breasts. Cooked in bulk and frozen.
Ketchup and sauce are bought in bulk as well.
Chilis were bought at a discount store.
Pasta was whole grain, bought in the clearance bin in a bulk ziploc bag.
This dish was made for less than $2.

Psa 136:26  O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy endureth for ever.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I think I may try to make this and leave put the cheese and pasta so callee can eat. You think it would still be good?
Joy
I'm hunting frugal gluten,dairy, meat free recipes, if you have any in your arsenal I would love them!

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and EVERYONE liked it. I didn't have chicken, so I used some stew pork that I had. Thanks for a quick, easy dinner.

Heidi Wright said...

Donna, I have visited (and enjoyed!) your blog for several months--coming here from Brandy's The Prudent Homemaker. I don't know you, but I am praying you and yours are well as I was used to seeing frequent posts from you, and you have not posted in over 2 months. From here in Ontario, Canada, I am hoping to "see" you soon and praying it is just the garden/outdoor goodness that has kept you from your online spot...Heidi